Wednesday, November 12

...READ THIS... it's for the greater good!

Recently, I have been wondering about the United States and its seemingly incestuous relationship with Israel. I use the word incestuous because, well... it kind of feels that way--everyone knows about their strong alliance, but people seem afraid to talk about it... and more importantly, the realities of it = lot's of bombs, missles, and war!

With Barrack Obama's first cabinet appointment being Rahm Emmanuel--a prominent politician with strong Israeli ties--I have become increasingly interested in this topic, particularly in the reason for its sensitivity. And I am determined to get to the bottom of it, so naturally, I have been asking around. I get the history of the relationship--how they met, the long strolls on the beach, the backseat of the car, etc. etc. But, I can't seem to figure out who is telling which what to do--is Israel calling the shots when it comes to the US's actions in the middle east? Or is it the other way around?

While most people I know listen to music and watch the hills, I'm usually at home cracking-out, Amy-Winehouse-Style (ouch!) to CBC and NPR--I can't even help myself!

Today, as I was cooking, I was listening to the CBC and coincidentally a former Israeli soldier was speaking about his experience in the military. And to my 'shock-and-awe', he was speaking out against it. Literally, I was shocked. I even turned off the water so that I could listen!

I learned that he has started an organization called "Breaking the Silence". It is the first organization where soldiers are speaking o
ut about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict--calling it an occupation and discussing the ways in which it is immoral and wrong.

WAIT A MINUTE... ARE HUMAN BEINGS EVOLVING BEFORE OUR EYES OR WHAT!!!??

Anyway, I found this extremely interesting and a bit AWESOME. As some of you may or may not know, I am quite supportive of those of u
s who openly and loudly question the wrong-doings of our governments, our politicians, our CEOs and our militaries--in my opinion it is our duty to question those who have an abundance of power; as those of us who follow blindly are simply unpatriotic (and a bit ignorant).

Below is an excerpt from the organizations' home page--check it out.

LISTEN: This may not be your cup of tea or s
omething you particularly care about--but it's SUPER important. Think about it this way: If you want the world to be a better place, then it is up to you to recognize and support those who are brave enough to go out of their way and put their lives in danger to speak out against the wrongdoings of those who have power. In the very least...it's the very least you can do.


"Breaking the Silence
is an organization of veteran Israeli soldiers that collects testimonies of soldiers who served in the Occupied Territories during the Second Intifadah. Soldiers who serve in the Territories are witness to, and participate in military actions which change them immensely. Cases of abuse towards Palestinians, looting, and destruction of property have been the norm for years, but are still excused as military necessities, or explained as extreme and unique cases. Our testimonies portray a different and grim picture of questionable orders in many areas regarding Palestinian civilians. These demonstrate the depth of corruption which is spreading in the Israeli military."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting this - by bringing their story to us you are spreading the word about their cause...knowledge will give us the power to move toward action...

Enid said...

thanks anonymous. I really appreciate that you read my blog. Thanks for commenting. I will try to bring as much knowledge to the table as possible--along with humor and fun!