Friday, November 7

...I had to sit still... so I could take it all in...here is the re-cap.

Apologies for the giant blog-pause that I took this week.

To be honest, I am still recovering from Obama's win this past Tuesday. And while we're on an honesty kick, I should let you know that I really did not think he was going to be elected. Somewhere, at the very front and center of my consciousness, I truly did not believe the media was being truthful in its polling or its reporting. Instead, I listened faithfully to the progressive media outlets--who were faithfully reporting cases of voter purging, voter caging, brigades of soldiers on-call for the upcoming riots, fields of fema coffins...ALL very TRUE, yet fear inducing enough to stress me out for a decade!

Call me cynical, pessimistic, skeptical, distrustful, contemptuous--your choice really--the truth is after two stolen elections, eight years of Bush, a war for the sake of capitalism, torture of innocent individuals, the slaughtering of THOUSANDS of innocent Iraqi's and Afghanis, not to mention my own personal exodus from my homeland (due solely to many of the political reasons stated above)... how could anyone really expect me, of all people, to believe America would make a good choice

So, in the end...I was wrong. THANK GOD!

I spent Tuesday night with some of the best and most brilliant people I know; as I decided to make an event of the evening (Aparrently politics = party in my book). We all huddled together in a pub and many of my friends experienced the part of my life that I usually reserve for my blog and for the like-minded (politically charged) people in my life. In any case, it turned out to be one of the most incredible and memorable nights of my life... here's why:

1) If your friends like you enough, they'll party with you over politics

My friends, who don't exactly follow politics with the same fervor, came out--on a Tuesday night--to watch the American election...in Canada. I was very appreciative of their in-person-support. And I love them for it.

2) 10th Grade Logic Question: Barack Obama won AND Barack Obama is a bi-racial American. Why does that matter if and only if Barack Obama is a bi-racial American? (remember that shit? I hated logic!)

Here's why: in 1954, the United States government passed legislation to end segregation. However, in 1964, ten years later, people were still killing one another over race related issues. In addition to being shot with fire hoses and attacked with dogs for protesting, many black Americans were still unable to vote at that time--they had little to no civil rights and it was because of a government that failed to treat black Americans like Americans. That was only 44 years ago. In less than half of a lifetime, Americans, by an overwhelming majority, have elected a black president. This is a BEAUTIFUL reality! (I had originally said it was incredible, but it is actually beautiful. Think about it.)

As someone who personally grew up in an ethnic household with two parents that both personally experienced racism and discrimination--this means the world to me. It means that America is finally growing up. In my opinion, when a nation recognizes all of its citizens and the people of its land as HUMAN BEINGS, it is STEP ONE towards becoming a true nation. (Considering this as the first step, is actually an over statement on my part due to the current treatment of Mexicans and homosexuals in the US---but it's a baby step and definitely a step in the right direction). I am happy beyond belief that for once the true character of an individual is what people are basing their votes upon as opposed to the color of one's skin or the descent of their ancestors.

It also meant a lot to me because, plain and simply, the better guy beat the bad guy! Here's the thing about Obama, he's not exactly a liberal. He's liberal when you compare him to American politicians and you take into consideration how far right America has crept... but in the grand scheme of reality--he's still pro-war, pro-patriot act, anti gay marriage, and pro-capitalism--all things liberals disagree with. Many progressives think he is not much different than anyone else... I beg to differ and think he's a big step up from the alternative. The fact of the matter is when you compare the choices, he was hands down the best choice. And to the Progressives of the world: When you're talking about the United States... think baby steps! I'm from there, and even I know that baby steps are a big deal!

...back to the recap:

When they announced that Obama won, I still couldn't believe it--I kept saying: "it's only a projection"... however I soon received a text from a friend, whose father is an editor at The New York Times. The text said that the paper had just sent to print the issue declaring Obama's as the winner. I guess that sealed the deal. We were all jumping up and down, cheering, hugging... it was fantastic!

3) It was like my favorite team just won the Stanley Cup and I don't even like hockey!!!

After the announcement, we all headed down to Dundas Square. The rumor was they were going to show Obama's speech on a big screen in the square... Unfortunately, that was a rumor. Instead, when we arrived, we joined into a great celebration of people dancing and singing and hugging and cheering... my partner and I just kept looking at one another in awe... It was like nothing we'd ever seen before. In the states, people only cheer like that when sports teams win. It made my little, hippie, heart melt!

4) And the grand finale--Typsy Tears of Joy!

We headed to the Imperial Pub to watch the new "President Elect" give his speech. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't expect the 1992 television set with volume lower than the iPod blasting out of a meathead's ears at the gym! About 150 people where watching with their necks strained forward, shushing the few drunkards in the room who were being rowdy. I was surprised and reassured by the business-like tone of his speech and I was touched by the restored hope that seemed to be pouring from the public. I think I even shed a couple of tears when I looked into the eyes of a fellow New Yorker who happened to be in the vicinity... but I am sure that was due, in part, to my good old friends: Guinness, Maudite, and Keiths...
It was a good night for so many reasons, well four reasons actually.

So here's the question everyone is asking:

Will Barack Obama CHANGE anything? It's a fantasy of mine that he's a hell of a lot more liberal than he lead us to believe--and, once in office, he actually becomes a liberal! In my opinion, that would be an excellent deception... it would be exactly like G-Dub, except the reciprocal!

The reality is he likely won't change much... we'll all just have to wait and see. I'm truly hoping to see what he'll do about green technologies... We NEED to start focusing on the environment, and if that is all we get out of him, I know for sure that is far better than what the alternative would have been.

So here's to change...
cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved being there with you - you are first and foremost one of my closest friends but I see it in you : you are an agent for positive change in this world

it was a pleasure, absolute pleasure spending last Tuesday night with you and watching/feeling your energy change from cautious doubt to utter excitement as the polls tallied up and Obama's victory was announced.

we need more Enids in the world- thank you for sharing your passions w us

Lil'J said...

<3 <3 <3

Spa visit soon??