Monday, October 27

...for the gym-rats, sports enthusiasts, and conspirists alike...

I thought I'd change it up a bit and talk about something new...

As some of you may know, I spend a good deal of time at the gym...yeah, I admit it. It's not that I'm obsessed with the way I look, it's just that I consider myself to be an athlete and staying fit is a vital part of that consideration. In any case, the gym has become my second home and while there, I've learned quite a bit.

At the gym, there is no shortage of interesting characters--the meatheads, the magazine girls, the people who have clearly never touched a weight before, the athletes, the socializers, the group-exercise-class-groupies, those who are addicted to spinning, the gym-rats, those who are medically mandated to train (mostly older population), and of course those who try extremely hard but have all of the wrong moves.

Every once in a while, you'll see a guy (or a gal) and you'll wonder to yourself: "are they on steroids?" For most people, the thought of using steroids is a crazy one, but for others--those who make a living by using their body (athletes, strippers, models, body builders), those who are plain obsessed, and of course, those who work in the industry--steroids is a reality.

A friend and coworker of mine suggested I watch a documentary called BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER. He suggested it because he thought I would like it--he was right. It's a documentary about an American guy who grew up in New York with 2 brothers. Growing up, their childhood obsessions were muscles, wrestling, and being the strongest boy in school and in the house. All three brothers followed their dreams to become professional power lifters/wrestlers. The film follows the main character as he grapples to understand why his 2 brothers are addicted to using steroids and he is not. The documentary evolves into a search for the truth about steroids--are they really harmful? And if not, why the big fuss?

I watched it and thought it to be one of the best I've ever seen--insightful, funny, and a bit genius at times. So, that said, if you're a fitness-punk like I am, this film comes highly suggested--if you're a fitness-punk AND you're American than that's even better.

CHECK IT OUT (of Blockbuster) It really makes you think about society, growing-up American, and of course...the culture's obsession with STEROIDS!

No comments: